Monday, October 26, 2009

50 miles and change on Saturday???

I'm sitting here tonight contemplating another ultramarathon this coming weekend. It's a 24 hour run around Gray's Lake on Halloween. This "race" is one I'd read about 3 or 4 weeks ago. For a good week or two there was serious thought as to attempting another ultra. Had kind of forgotten about it for the last couple weeks, but today the idea of running it has crept back into my mind.
There would be absolutely no pressure in this event, as my plan would be to run it very comfortably, not putting any pressure on a achieving a certain distance or time. The plan is to just run according to how my body feels. My goal for the 24 hours is just to beat my record distance in a day, which is 52 miles at the Superior Ultra in Minnesota back in September. In the span of 24 hours, that should really be no challenge at all. This is undertaken with the thought in the back of my mind that I might attempt a 1oo miler (maybe) next summer. It would be nice to try something beyond the 50 mile distance in race conditions before thinking about 100 miles.
I know this may sound crazy to the average person, but for me it seems almost logical. My ability to run 50 miles is no longer in question (although I would like to run a sub-10 hour 50) the challenge is to find out how far the legs will carry me. It is pretty short notice, essentially deciding 5 days beforehand to run 50 plus miles; but my body is sufficiently rested from last months ultra. Besides, it's not like there are any big plans for the weekend, other than possibly dressing up for Halloween. Will likely need to decide by tommorrow whether or not to run, as I might try to take Friday (to rest) and Monday (to recover) off from work. The boss would likely be fairly understanding as to my request for time off!
Well, if anyone I know is reading this, and isnt busy on Saturday, a crew would be appreciated! I'll let you know the decision by tommorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment