Sunday, June 13, 2010

Well, a week has passed since the completion of my 100 mile ultramarathon. It's hard to believe that a week ago I ran 100 miles in 28 hours. I guess you could say this dream/goal has been almost 2.5 years in the making.
To anyone who is not a runner, this might seem absolutely absurd, (it most likely seems crazy to other runners as well) but to me it was the logical next step. You see, running is one of the few things in life where I am able to challenge myself. When I started to have success, it fueled my drive and passion for running.
What suprised me the most was that once I started to run 60 plus miles a week (the minimum I think, for a serious attempt at 100 miles) my body actually got stronger. Once I knew my body could handle the training, it made me want to find what the body was truly capable of.
When you realize you are capable of so much more than you let yourself believe is possible, one's potential becomes limitless. The joy then comes from pushing beyond your previous capabilites. I almost began to look forward to failing. It seems weird to say that, but it actually is a positive statement for me, as the only way to find out what is possible is to fail.
I have already achieved more than I thought was possible in the world of running. I didnt start out with any specific goals, but have already achieved beyond my wildest imagination. Running has definately instilled some sorely needed discipline, committment, drive, focus,passion, etc., in my life. Hopefully it will someday carry over into other areas of life,but for now I will be happy with the gift that running is to me.

the "true" Lone Wolf

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I agree with Chris, keep them coming! A blog about your consideration of another ultra perhaps?

    Congratulations again on your finish. I still need to find that discipline in my swimming, you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete